Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A Lenten Healing: 40 Graces for Forgiveness (Day 12: Justness)


Oh yeah. Here’s an attribute of Jesus that I can really sink my teeth into: his justness.
I like justice. I’m all about it. My strongest attribute in the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory is my J, for Judging. Combine that with my Thinking T, and I can tell anybody exactly what they’re doing wrong and what they should be doing instead and what the consequences ought to be for having been such a knucklehead in the first place.
Who just clucked their tongue at the screen and said, “Let she who is without sin cast the first stone”?!?
Sigh.
Darn.
Jesus is fully just.
He’s also fully merciful (which is coming tomorrow).
I am fully neither one.
Jesus can rightly judge people, and judge between people, because he knows their past experiences, and the present circumstances, and all future possibilities and repercussions. He knows the heart and discerns each person’s motives. I can see only a small portion of what someone else does or says, and most of the time even that is almost entirely out of context.
So who am I to pass judgment or withhold forgiveness?
And if I really think about it, I’ll bet at some point I’ve done the same sort of offensive thing to someone else that was just done to me.
Wow. I need to be glad I don’t get what I deserve most of the time.

* * *

…in the same way you judge others, you will be judged,
and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
--Matthew 7:2

* * *

Jesus, thank you that you are the wise judge, and that I don’t have to (or get to) be. Help me to curb my critical spirit and recognize how very little I really know in any given situation. Teach me today, please, how to practice forgiveness from the standpoint of humility, that I am not that wise, I am not at all omniscient, I am not, not, not. Thank you that you will take care of every inequality, every offense, every wrong. It’s your job, and not mine.


40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey is now available in print. $6.49 at Amazon.com.





With questions for personal meditation and space for journaling, this 40-day devotional series offers a deeper look at Christ's command that we forgive. For a personal pilgrimage, or as a resource for group Bible study,40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey invites seekers of forgiveness and healing to the path on which God longs to meet us all. $6.49 at Amazon.com. Find out more about 40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment