Search This Blog

Thursday, March 2, 2017

A Lenten Healing: 40 Graces for Forgiveness (Day 2: Love)



Day 2: Love
Love is a choice. It’s a verb, something I do. Or don’t. I don’t love because I feel, I love because I will.
Peter asked Jesus how many times he must forgive a brother or sister who sins against him. Seventy-seven times, Jesus replied. (That’s a rabbi’s way of saying, “A lot. More than you can count. Every. Single. Time.”)
I can only truly forgive via love. Love that chooses. Love that chooses Jesus over its own pain. Over its own indignation. Over its own ache to be right and to be defended and to be vindicated.
But love releases all its rights. Love says, “It’s better for you if I suffer this. So I will suffer it. Instead of you.”
Jesus went to the cross for love of us. For love of me.
To love Jesus is my choice.
To forgive another is my choice.

* * *
Love… does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
– 1 Corinthians 13:5-6
* * *

Father, show me how to love today. Bring someone across my path who needs love, and teach me how to give it. Draw the lines for me that connect love of you to forgiveness of others. Let me see, if only for a brief moment at first, how forgiveness breathes and breeds love. Thank you that you love me. And that you forgive me.


40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey is now available in print. $6.49 at Amazon.com.





With questions for personal meditation and space for journaling, this 40-day devotional series offers a deeper look at Christ's command that we forgive. For a personal pilgrimage, or as a resource for group Bible study,40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey invites seekers of forgiveness and healing to the path on which God longs to meet us all. $6.49 at Amazon.com. Find out more about 40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment