Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A Lenten Healing: 40 Graces for Forgiveness (Day 18: Perfection)



I never need to forgive God. He’s never done anything wrong.
He’s never led me into sin, or deceived me, or promised something he didn’t deliver.
He’s not a tease, not a tyrant, not a taskmaster.
He never laughs at my pain or my failure or my ignorance.
He is so perfect, my mind can’t even get around one part of him.
No one else on earth is perfect. Including me. In fact, the better I get to know myself the more I realize how deep my membership in the no-one-is-perfect club goes. I might be the chairman.
I’m pretty messed up, actually.
Yet I do expect perfection from everyone else. I look to people to be Jesus to me. And when they’re not, I get angry about it.
“Jesus with skin on.” I dislike that holy little cutesy-ism so much. Jesus has skin of his own. Neither yours nor mine fits him, and we can’t fill out his. So let’s not insult him so casually.
Jesus said, “Be perfect as I am perfect.” Until I am, I have neither reason nor right to expect anyone else to be.
Therefore, forgiveness.

* * *

The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.
– Deuteronomy 32:4

* * *

Thank you for being perfect, God, Jesus, Holy Spirit. There is no wrong thought, deed, or trait anywhere in you. Thank you that you call me to be perfect, but forgive me every time I admit that I’m not. Remind me, please, of my own failures when I focus on the failures of others. Remind me of your forgiveness when I’m tempted to withhold mine. Let me see more and more of you so that I can shape more and more of myself to resemble you. If you could start with my grudge-bearing—my reluctance to forgive—that would be awesome. Genuinely awesome, in the “full of wonder and amazement” sense of the word. Thank you.


40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey is now available in print. $6.49 at Amazon.com.





With questions for personal meditation and space for journaling, this 40-day devotional series offers a deeper look at Christ's command that we forgive. For a personal pilgrimage, or as a resource for group Bible study,40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey invites seekers of forgiveness and healing to the path on which God longs to meet us all. $6.49 at Amazon.com. Find out more about 40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey.

Like the Wasting My Education Facebook Page to Get Posts in Your Newsfeed

1 comment:

  1. Words with deep meaning. We all have need to forgive.

    ReplyDelete