Search This Blog

Saturday, March 4, 2017

A Lenten Healing: 40 Graces for Forgiveness (Day 4: Peace)


Day 4: Peace
I love peace. It’s the thing I want in my home and in my life more than anything else.
For me being at peace means living in a state of safety, orderliness, and calm. I know what to expect and nothing about my expectation troubles me.
I’ve found that if I stay relentlessly calm, the rest of the people in my house are more likely to remain calm as well. It’s been said “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”. In my world, if Mama’s happy there’s about a 68% chance everyone else will be happy too.
Forgiveness, of course, generates peace. When one of my children is forced to decides to apologize, and the offended sibling is coerced to chooses to say, “I forgive you,” the tempest subsides. Perfect peace is rarely attained at that precise moment, but a path toward it is opened.
Peace will only come to rest on me and my home if I actively, wisely practice its cultivation.

* * *
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. – James 3:17-18

* * *
Open my eyes today, Lord, to recognize opportunities for me to cultivate peace. Help me restrain—and ultimately subdue—my propensity for reactiveness. Replace it with reflection and the ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit saying, “This is the way. Walk in it.” Work into the deepest places of my heart and mind an understanding of the inextricable relationship between peace and forgiveness. Teach me to be a champion of your peace.


40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey is now available in print. $6.49 at Amazon.com.



With questions for personal meditation and space for journaling, this 40-day devotional series offers a deeper look at Christ's command that we forgive. For a personal pilgrimage, or as a resource for group Bible study,40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey invites seekers of forgiveness and healing to the path on which God longs to meet us all. $6.49 at Amazon.com. Find out more about 40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment