Search This Blog

Monday, March 6, 2017

A Lenten Healing: 40 Graces for Forgiveness (Day 5: Patience)


Day 5: Patience
Oh, wow. Yeah, this one. Patience.
I would really like to skip right over this one and pretend it isn’t there.
I’m not patient. I’m impatient.
Hmm. I never noticed that before. The first two letters of impatient are “IM”. As in, “I’m”.
When I’m impatient, it’s because I’m in a hurry. I’m doing something important. I’m being thwarted or frustrated or hindered or obstructed.
Like every other sin, the sin of being impatient is all about me.
I cringe when I remember how many times I raised my voice (okay, yelled) because my children were taking too long getting their shoes or coats on. I knew I was being a jerk even as I was being a jerk.
Many times I apologized and asked their forgiveness. And my longsuffering children always forgave me.
I want to learn better patience. I want to make my life less about me and more about others: my husband, my children, my friends, strangers in the grocery store.
Has anyone ever said, “That person was way too patient with me”?

* * *
It is better to be patient than to be a warrior,
to be one who controls his temper than one who takes a city.
- Proverbs 16:32
* * *
As much as it terrifies me to pray this, God I ask you to bring me opportunities to practice patience today. Teach me how it feels to put others’ needs ahead of my own, and to recognize that we’re all occupying difference places on the learning curves of life: tying our shoes, driving our cars, speaking our languages, getting along in our relationships. Just because I had a better upbringing or the chance for more education or an inborn skill in some area gives me no right to look down on someone else who hasn’t. Please help me to forgive others for not being what I wish they were, and help me ask forgiveness for all the times I haven’t been what I should be.


40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey is now available in print. $6.49 at Amazon.com.





With questions for personal meditation and space for journaling, this 40-day devotional series offers a deeper look at Christ's command that we forgive. For a personal pilgrimage, or as a resource for group Bible study,40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey invites seekers of forgiveness and healing to the path on which God longs to meet us all. $6.49 at Amazon.com. Find out more about 40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment