Search This Blog

Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Lenten Healing: 40 Graces for Forgiveness (Day 8: Faithfulness)


Day 8: Faithfulness
Faithful: loyal, constant, steadfast, dependable.
Faith describes a state of complete confidence or trust in something or someone; to be faithful is to be worthy of that confidence and trust.
This one’s hard for me. It’s where a lot of my unforgiveness digs in its heels. At times I’ve been betrayed, blamed for something I didn’t do, lied to, thrown under the bus. One time someone in a position of authority asked me to simply trust them that the way they remembered an event was more accurate than the way I remembered it. I said, “Trust is something I’m having a hard time with right now.”
Trust is still something I’m having a hard time with.
I expect people to turn their backs on me when there’s nothing in it for them to have my back.
The upside of this pessimistic outlook is that I’m fiercely loyal and doggedly protective. If you need a champion or wingman for a confrontation in an unbalanced power play, I’m there. Don’t mess with this Mama Bear’s cubs, my friend.
But if you fail me when I need you, I’ll never forget it.
I’ll never forget you.
This is where it hurts.
Faithfulness.

* * *
Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love,
but a faithful man who can find?
– Proverbs 20:6
* * *

God, I’m nowhere near forgiveness on this one. I expect you’re going to bring up the subject of faithfulness again sometime over the next several weeks, since you’re pretty tenacious about getting us to deal rightly with the stuff that trips us up. So I’ll just say today that I’m committed to doing whatever you want me to do regarding my relationship to faithfulness— mine and others’. I’m going to need you to step in and speak loudly for me to move in a better direction—okay, to move at all. Thank you that you’re faithful, and you always have been, and you always will be.


40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey is now available in print. $6.49 at Amazon.com.





With questions for personal meditation and space for journaling, this 40-day devotional series offers a deeper look at Christ's command that we forgive. For a personal pilgrimage, or as a resource for group Bible study,40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey invites seekers of forgiveness and healing to the path on which God longs to meet us all. $6.49 at Amazon.com. Find out more about 40 Graces for Forgiveness: a Healing Journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment