Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2017

Peanut Butter Date Poppers: Almost a Candy Bar


Hi. My name is Maria, and I have a problem with sugar.
You know it’s getting bad when you sit down to a meal and think about nothing but what’s for dessert.
Good grief, I love chocolate.
My go-to is a bag of fun-size candy bars. Or a tub of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Cups. Or a steamy mug of Silly Cow Farms Hot Chocolate. Or, heck, a couple of handfuls of chocolate chips.
I’m a mess who possesses almost zero self-control over my sugar intake.
But in my ongoing quest to eat more conscientiously, I have recently devised what I believe to be the best snack idea since candy impulse-racks at the check-out stand:
Peanut Butter Date Poppers
Let the angel choirs rejoice.
A while back I found an online recipe for Fake Larabars, and they’re awesome. But I’m lazy about food. Really lazy. Like, your-unemployed-stoner-cousin-who-lies-on-the-couch-playing-Grand-Theft-Auto-for-days-at-a-time lazy. Breaking out the Cuisinart and lining a pan with parchment paper and scraping dough out of a bowl—then cleaning it all up—has time and again proven a bridge too far for me.
So I found an easier way. A lazier way. You’ll thank me when it takes you ten minutes or less to gin up a tub of these good-for-you bad boys.
Here’s how you do it:
1. Get a box of dried dates. If they have pits, slice each one open on one side and remove the stone.

 2. Grab some natural peanut butter. Smear half a teaspoon or so inside both halves of the hollowed-out date. 

3. Insert 2-3 chocolate chips in the peanut butter. 

4. Close up the date. The peanut butter will seal it. 

5. Return your Peanut Butter Date Poppers to their original box and stick them in the fridge. 

6. Snack at will, guilt-free.
When you’re jonesing for a sweet, chewy, gooey, chocolately treat, grab one or two. They’re GOOD FOR YOU, and have only the tiniest bit of refined sugar in the chocolate chips. And I swear, they’re not far off from a fun-size candy bar.
Hi, I’m Maria. And I might be turning into a flaky-crunchy-organic-granola Mom…

Peanut Butter Date Poppers
1 Box of Dried Dates (I’ve used Medjool and Deglet Noor)
Natural Peanut Butter (Creamy or Crunchy, as you prefer)
Chocolate Chips (Milk, Semi-Sweet, whatever)
If the dates have pits, slice each one open on one side and remove the stone. Smear half a teaspoon or so (depending on the size of the date) of peanut butter inside the hollowed-out date. Insert 2-3 chocolate chips in the peanut butter. Close up the date; the peanut butter will seal it.
Put your Peanut Butter Date Poppers back in their original box, close it up, and stick it in the fridge.
Bon Appétit.


4 comments:

  1. What about Nutella instead? One less step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but then you get more sugar and none of the nice crunch that comes with crunchy peanut butter and/or a couple of refrigerated chocolate chips. But Nutella would make a smooth, tasty bite, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered how to celebrate on the Monday after Easter. You are a sugar-detoxing, genius. I have dates in my cupboard right now that are about to get stuffed. And here is my lazy take on the best (good fat and protein enriched) chocolate goodness that I have ever eaten. Enjoy!
    https://shesourceful.com/2013/02/20/recipe-chocolate-deliciousness/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie. And I love that recipe you shared. I haven't made it yet, but I keep meaning to. Thanks for reminding me! Enjoy your Peanut Butter Date Poppers. Cheers!

      Delete